Grilled Eggplant Caprese Stackers!
I have been doing so much grilling this summer and loving it! But I needed a change of pace from my usual veggie burgers which gave me the inspiration to use up an eggplant that I had kicking around. This recipe is simple and super tasty. It can make a great side dish or appetizer!
Grilled Eggplant Caprese Stackers
Kelsey McCullough | 7/26/2019
- prep time: 30 minutes
- cook time: 15 minutes
- total time: About 45 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 lb mozzarella ball
- 1 large tomato (or 2 small)
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup balsalmic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- If you are using a charcoal grill like me- you'll first want to get it going to make some nice hot coals! We are aiming for a medium heat. You can also do this on any other kind of grill.
- Meanwhile prep the eggplant by slicing it into 1/3 inch thick disks. Lightly sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and lay out on paper towels to get rid of some of the moisture. Let sit for 20-30 mins. Meanwhile cut the bell pepper and onion into 1/4 thick rings.
- This is a good time to prep the balsalmic glaze. Simply put balsalmic in a pot, cook over low heat, and stir occasionally. This takes about 30 minutes to thicken. If you like the glaze sweeter- add the tbsp of honey at any time.
- Once grill is hot, lightly oil the eggplant, pepper, onion and season with pepper, garlic and oregano. It is now ready for the grill! You are looking for grill marks- about 3-8 minutes per side, it all depends on the heat of your grill.
- Slice tomato, and mozzarella cheese into 1/4 inch slices.
- Take veggies off the grill and make stacks alternating between eggplant, cheese, tomato, pepper, onion, and basil.
- Lastly drizzle the balsamic glaze and enjoy!
This recipe is very customizable- you can add or leave out any of the veggies, I think mushrooms would be a good addition! If you don’t like balsamic you could also do a marinara sauce- hot or cold…You decide!
Did you try it out?! Let me know~