Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
These muffins were inspired by an old banana & zucchini that needed to be used up. (I hate throwing away totally unused food!) With yogurt, peanut butter & eggs these are packed with protein. The rolled oats, whole wheat flour, banana, chocolate chips and brown sugar provide carbohydrates, for some quick energy. But they have plenty of fiber for sustained fullness. Most importantly they are yummy!
Great quick breakfast-grab & go style, or mid day snack!
· 2 cups grated zucchini
· 4 eggs
· 1 cup yogurt (vanilla or plain)
· 1 mashed banana
· 1 tsp vanilla
· ½ cup packed brown sugar
· 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
· 1.5 cups rolled oats
· ½ cup cocoa powder
· 1 tbsp cinnamon
· 1 tsp salt
· 2 tsp baking soda
Optional mix ins: ½ cup chopped walnuts, ½ cup chocolate chips, 2 tbsp ground flax seeds.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease 24 muffin cups or 2 loaf pans w/ olive oil.
3. Mix flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon in a medium bowl.
4. Mash banana, and mix with eggs, yogurt, zucchini, vanilla, and brown sugar, in a large bowl.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir just until combined.
6. Dollop batter into the muffin tins (or loaf pans). (About ¾ full)
7. Bake for about 20 minutes. Poke in the middle with a knife- if it comes out clean they are done, if wet needs a few more minutes.
8. Let muffins cool for about 15 minutes, best served warm!